Cats hate traveling. They cannot accept things that have never happened to them earlier, hence start panicking when they think of traveling on a car. However, if you are thinking how to travel with a cat in a car, these are few tips to help you out-
- Always train you cat- kid to use the crate while traveling. Though they do not love traveling in a cat travel carrier, when if you have to drive the car, your furry partner may hinder your concentration.
- Toss a blanket or a towel in the car before the trip that you have used for him. He will panic less while traveling in the car.
- While traveling with cats in the car for long distance, choose a hard crate, put his food bowl inside, and keep a ping pong ball to keep him busy. (Read about Cat breeds that love to travel )
- If your car trip is not a sudden one, make the cat’s mealtime in the car.
- Feed all his meals inside the car for one week before the trip. He will be familiar with the vehicle and stay calm when you have actually started the journey.
- While preparing him for the car trip, provide tasty and unexpected treats that he doesn’t receive otherwise. It would generate his curiosity to jump inside the car.
- Your cat would love to be in the car if you have given him time to accommodate. The best thing to do for this is to take short car trips with your cat.
- Make every car trip with your cat a memorable one. Don’t put your cat inside the car only if you have to visit the vet. It would dread him more. Take short trips instead, and help him make the positive experience you drive in a car with him.
- Despite all the effort, if you find your cat is still hating a car trip and has fallen sick, give him a dose of sedative for cats. This would work on anti-motion sickness effect. Remember that cats don’t love the taste of sedatives, and should be given only 1/4th of the human dose.